The one-sentence summary
Pick yourself to be inquisitive and create something.
- It is subtitled: When was the last time you did something for the first time?
- It is a manifesto about starting things, making a ruckus, and taking what feels like a risk.
- A buzzer box has some lights and switches on it – when you poke it, things happen. When I do this, what happens? What can you start? Soon is not as good as now.
- When the cost of poking the box is less than the cost of dong nothing, then you should poke. Poking isn’t about being right. It means action.
- He outlines seven imperatives:
1. Be aware – of the market, opportunities, and who you are
2. Be educated – so you can understand what is around you
3. Be connected – so you can be trusted as you engage
4. Be consistent – so the system knows what to expect
5. Build an asset – so you have something to sell
6. Be productive – so you can be well-priced
7. Have the guts and heart and passion to ship (get it out of the door)
- Human nature is to need a map. Stop waiting for one. If you’re brave enough to draw one, people will follow. The challenge is getting into the habit of starting.
- Anxiety is experiencing failure in advance. If you have anxiety about starting a project, then you will associate risk with failure. Starting means you’re going to finish.
WHAT’S GOOD ABOUT IT
- This is a call to arms. What could you build?
- Followers want to be picked for promotion, praise, or some other credit. They are saying: “Pick me!” You should reject the tyranny of ‘picked’ and pick yourself.
- Excellence isn’t about working extra hard to do what you’re told. It’s about taking the initiative to do work you decide is worth doing.
- “This might not work” is a healthy approach. Focus on the work, not the fear that comes from doing the work. The person who fails the most usually wins.
- Juggling is about throwing, not catching. If you get better at throwing, the catches take care of themselves.
- The Dandelion Mind idea is engaging: dandelions produce 2000 seeds a year and it doesn’t matter where they land. Produce a lot and things will happen.
WHAT YOU HAVE TO WATCH
- Nothing. This is a motivating rallying call.